QJBV00102 – Quart
GJBV00103 – Gallon
Do not use on rubber, asphalt, tile, linoleum, plastic, gel coat or other synthetics. Always test on an inconspicuous area for compatibility before using.
Jasco® Varnish and Stain Remover is especially formulated for fine antiques and wood surfaces to remove all clear coatings and lift out stains. This allows you to have a fresh surface to refinish existing woodwork and achieve the look you desire in your refinishing project. Varnish and Stain Remover is safe for fine antiques, woods and veneers.
Click link to learn more about Hazards of Using Paint Removers for Bathtub Refinishing Operations
1. Shake can - pour stripper into a metal container & apply with a brush. Wear chemical-resistant gloves and chemical splash goggles.
2. Dab on a liberal coat of stripper with as little brushing as possible. A film forms over the stripper to stop evaporation. Brushing breaks the film and causes evaporation and drying. Keep the stripper wet even if more applications are necessary, until the BOTTOM coat of paint or finish is ready to be removed. Check for dry spots and reapply stripper to those areas.
3. Give the stripper time to work. Many coats of old paint may require up to 30 minutes before removal.
4. Using a plastic scraper, remove the paint and deposit in a waste container. Apply another coat of stripper to facilitate the final clean up.
5. Scrub the surface clean with a stripping pad & water.
6. To remove stain, leave the mixture of stripper & water on the wood. When removing brown stain, watermarks or weather stains, scrub the surface with water & a stripping pad. While the wood is wet, brush on a coat of white vinegar. To remove red stain, use full strength bleach instead of vinegar. After using the vinegar or bleach, wash surface clean with wet cloth. Use bleach or vinegar only when water washing.
7. If you like the color of the wood & do not wish to pull the stain, do not use water. Instead, wash the surface clean with paint thinner. Allow wood to dry overnight before sanding or refinishing.
HELPFUL TIPS: Read all warnings and instructions before opening. Do not use for stripping floors or any place where a flammable remover might be hazardous. This product is harmful to asphalt, plastic, rubber tile, linoleum and anodized aluminum. Do not mix with any other product. For best results, use in temperatures between 65°F and 85°F and away from strong breeze and hot sun. Protect surrounding areas with a heavy plastic drop cloth. Do not use on linoleum, plastic, rubber, asphalt tile, fiberglass, gel coat or other synthetics. It will not harm metal, canvas, plaster, glass or glued joints if used properly. Always test on an inconspicuous area for compatibility before using. Use over a small area because health and safety risks will increase dramatically when used over large areas. If applying to a vertical surface, begin at the bottom and work up because vapors can accumulate near the floor. If container is hot, cool before opening. Unscrew cap slowly so vapors can escape. Close container tightly after each use.
CLEAN UP: Return unused stripper to the original container. The work area and tools can be cleaned up with soap and water. Wash arms and hands with cold water and soap.
DISPOSAL: Take outdoors and allow liquid to evaporate and residue to dry. Then dispose of in metal container in accordance with federal, state and local regulations.
STORAGE: Once opened, stripper should be used within 6 months or disposed of properly to avoid can deterioration. Store in a cool place. Exposure to high temperatures or prolonged exposure to sun may cause can to swell or leak.
DANGER! FLAMMABLE. KEEP AWAY FROM HEAT, SPARKS, FLAME AND ALL OTHER SOURCES OF IGNITION. VAPORS MAY CAUSE FLASH FIRE OR IGNITE EXPLOSIVELY. Extinguish all flames and pilot lights, and turn off all stoves, heaters, electric motors and all other sources of ignition during use and until all vapors are gone. USE ONLY WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION TO PREVENT BUILDUP OF VAPORS. Do not use in areas where vapors can accumulate and concentrate such as basements, bathrooms and small, enclosed areas. Whenever possible use outdoors in an open air area. If using indoors open all windows and doors and maintain a cross ventilation of moving fresh air across the work area. If strong odor is noticed or you experience slight dizziness – STOP – ventilation is inadequate. Leave area immediately. IF THE WORK AREA IS NOT WELL VENTILATED, DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT. A dust mask does not provide protection against vapors.
DANGER! POISON. MAY BE FATAL OR CAUSE BLINDNESS IF SWALLOWED. VAPOR HARMFUL. EYE & SKIN IRRITANT. Contains Acetone, Methanol, Methylene Chloride, and Toluene. Cannot be made non-poisonous. Methylene Chloride has been shown to cause cancer in certain laboratory animals. The risk to your health depends on the level and duration of exposure. Reports have associated repeated and prolonged overexposure to solvents with neurological and other physiological damage. Intentional misuse of this product by deliberately concentrating and inhaling vapors can be harmful or fatal. Avoid breathing of vapors or mist and contact with skin, eyes and clothing. Do not take internally. WARNING: Using this product will expose you to chemicals which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and reproductive harm.
FIRST AID - IF SWALLOWED, call your poison-control center, hospital emergency room or physician immediately for instructions. IN CASE OF EYE CONTACT, immediately flush with water, remove any contact lens, continue flushing with water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation persists, get medical attention. IN CASE OF SKIN CONTACT, irritation may result. Immediately wash with soap and water. If irritation persists, get medical attention.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
MAX V.O.C. less than 50% by weight
Is Jasco® Varnish & Stain Remover flammable?
Yes, keep all sources of ignition away from work area, and do not spread product over a large area.
How much coverage can I expect from a can of Jasco® Varnish & Stain Remover?
Approximately 20 sq. ft. per quart and 80 sq. ft. per gallon.
How do I clean up Jasco® Varnish & Stain Remover?
Clean up with either Jasco® Paint Thinner or Odorless Mineral Spirits.
Is Jasco® Varnish & Stain Remover temperature sensitive?
Yes, use at temperatures between 65-85 degrees. When temperatures are above or below this, the stripper will not work as efficiently.
What is the shelf life of Jasco® Varnish & Stain Remover?
Three years unopened and six months after opening.
The “Directions for Use” are included to help you better understand our product. However, they do not provide you with all of the information needed to use the product safely and effectively. Prior to using any of our products, you should always read the entire label including all cautions. A copy of the current label is linked to this webpage.